Generational Differences at Work

I am very often asked by employers to explain the Millennial generation to them. If you've done any sort of research on the subject, I'm sure you've seen the large volumes of information on this subject that are coming out regularly. It seems a lot of people are asking the same questions...What does this generation really want? More importantly, what are they willing to do to get it? I think the answer wil surprise you!


I have the opportunity to regularly interact with students (Millennials) because of my job. I find them to be a highly engaging and enthusiastic group. In fact, I love working with them. Since I deal mostly with helping students find internships, I get a unique perpective as I help students shape their professional persona.

So here are the surprises I mentioned earlier...Millennials want what every other generation wants. They want a job that they can feel has an impact on something bigger than themselves, they want to make a fair wage (many of you will say that they expect to much), they want to be respected and heard in the workplace, and they want a balance between work and life that allows them to go to work and then come home and have a totally separate life. Now here's what you've all been waiting for...we're just like them! There isn't a single generation who has not wanted these things. The only real difference between Millennials and other generations, they're willing to ask for it and expect it. I think we all entered the workforce with these ideas. The problem is we were shot down as soon as we entered. We quickly assimilated into the mentality that you must work and you will hate it but you have to do it any way because everyone else has done it that way. Why do we think that way? Really this is the whole purpose of this blog, to help us understand each other and learn how to create a workplace that allows everyone to have a voice and be understood. I'm not saying that Millennials don't need to adjust their thinking a little but I keep asking myself, are they really that wrong?

We'll explore these issues and questions throughout this blog. I will use a lot of my experience with Millennials to help you understand why they think the way they do. Your feedback will always be welcome. By no means do I have all the answers about how to have a harmonious workplace where every generation respects each other. What I will do is present you with ideas and "what if's" to see if we can bridge the gap between the four generations that now make up the workforce.

No comments: